[RFC] List most recent posts on profile page

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
naderman
Consultant

[RFC] List most recent posts on profile page

Post by naderman »

The current user profiles contain a link to search a user's posts. Instead the user profile page itself should display a list of the most recent posts under the signature section. In addition a search box should allow filtering these posts further. The search code as well as search result display code should be reused for this.

Oleg

Re: [RFC] List most recent posts on profile page

Post by Oleg »

This will make profile information not fit into smaller resolutions.

I can't say I ever found it difficult to click the link to see a user's posts from their profile.

If we implement the other rfc linking user's post count to their post search this will not be needed.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

There's still quite a difference between having a well hidden link somewhere on a page full of information, and actually displaying the information right there.

Screen size is no reason not to add content to the bottom of that page. You'll have to scroll if you want to see that content, but the main profile content will fit your screen just as well as it used to.

I do think the kind of content a user generates is some of the most interesting information you can find about a forum user, and it deserves a place directly on the profile page.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

If you put the posts below everything that is already on the profile page then my objections are mostly moot, but then one may not see much without scrolling at which point what is the benefit really?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Oleg wrote:If you put the posts below everything that is already on the profile page then my objections are mostly moot, but then one may not see much without scrolling at which point what is the benefit really?
What's wrong with scrolling? That's like arguing that there should be one post to a page to reduce scrolling.

In both examples, number and size of HTTP requests would increase.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

I agree with naderman too. Also, the way the user details are displayed is not that good either.

Maybe a column in the left with the user info and a bigger column to show that user recent activity would be better, like this http://www.theverge.com/users/nilaypatel

It also could be configurable in the admin panel if the admin choose not to put that info there.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

3Di

Post by 3Di »

callumacrae wrote: What's wrong with scrolling? That's like arguing that there should be one post to a page to reduce scrolling.
the less the scrolling is... the better.. you know? No need to argue here, IMHO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

3Di wrote:the less the scrolling is... the better.. you know? No need to argue here, IMHO.
Sure, if scrolling can be avoided that is nice - but having information on a completely different page purely to avoid scrolling? There's no reason for that.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

3Di wrote:
callumacrae wrote: What's wrong with scrolling? That's like arguing that there should be one post to a page to reduce scrolling.
the less the scrolling is... the better.. you know? No need to argue here, IMHO.
Sure, reducing scrolling is generally a good practice, but if it's scrolling vs. useful content (keyword: useful), then the useful content should win. People expect to scroll whenever they visit a website, so they won't mind too much.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Well if your worried about space, why don't you look at something like this: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/tabbed_profiles/ Would that fix the issue of not having enough space? That also means that we can do the same for topics as well.