[RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by imkingdavid » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:27 am

*Daniel wrote:I'm voting +1 to add a permission to allow users to reply to PMs.
If users are always allowed to do something, it's not exactly controlled by a permission, eh?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by MichaelC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Maybe this permission would only allow them to reply to each PM once?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:55 pm

So here's what I understand of what needs to be done here:
  • New permission created (u_pm_reply) to regulate users being able to respond to private messages.
  • If recipient does not have reply permissions, allow PM to be sent but display warning that user cannot reply? Or we can just not allow them to send it
  • Reply permission defaults to "Yes" for new users (Send permission defaults to "No")
  • Alter language entry for u_pm_sendpm from "Can send private messages" to "Can compose new private messages"
  • New language entry for u_pm_reply - "Can reply to private messages"
Unknown Bliss wrote:Maybe this permission would only allow them to reply to each PM once?
I think this was addressed previously when I brought up the idea earlier. In response:
Oleg wrote:Consider a user who replied to someone and then realized they forgot something. They would want to reply again.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by MichaelC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:39 pm

imkingdavid wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:Maybe this permission would only allow them to reply to each PM once?
I think this was addressed previously when I brought up the idea earlier. In response:
Oleg wrote:Consider a user who replied to someone and then realized they forgot something. They would want to reply again.
The they can use the edit PM button?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote: The they can use the edit PM button?
That has it's own permission: "Can edit own private messages". What if that is disabled?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by MichaelC » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 am

Then thats the admin's choice.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by Oleg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:Maybe this permission would only allow them to reply to each PM once?
I think this was addressed previously when I brought up the idea earlier. In response:
Oleg wrote:Consider a user who replied to someone and then realized they forgot something. They would want to reply again.
The they can use the edit PM button?
I don't think users will go back and read edited PMs. How would the recipient even know that a PM was edited?

User avatar
canonknipser
Registered User
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:42 am
Location: Germany

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by canonknipser » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote:The they can use the edit PM button?
This only works until the recipient has read the PM.
Greetings, Frank

english is not my native language

Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by Oleg » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:04 am

My proposal:

1. Add u_replypm permission with the following wording: "Can reply to private messages (ignored if user can send private messages)". I think this name is more consistent and the wording is unfortunate but prevents confusion when someone sets "can reply" to never and "can send" to yes.

Therefore, if "can send" is never and "can reply" is yes, user can reply but not send. If "can send" is yes and "can reply" is never, user can reply and send.

2. Don't change "can send" wording, I think it's fine.

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Usability: Always allow user to respond to PM

Post by imkingdavid » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Oleg wrote:My proposal:

1. Add u_replypm permission with the following wording: "Can reply to private messages (ignored if user can send private messages)". I think this name is more consistent and the wording is unfortunate but prevents confusion when someone sets "can reply" to never and "can send" to yes.

Therefore, if "can send" is never and "can reply" is yes, user can reply but not send. If "can send" is yes and "can reply" is never, user can reply and send.

2. Don't change "can send" wording, I think it's fine.
I reverted the language values and used the suggested wording for u_pm_reply. I'll work on the logic when I get a chance.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Post Reply