[RFC] Ability to require correct location

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Ability to require correct location

Post by Noxwizard »

The main problem is that you are showing the user's location to the public without their consent. This is why it creates a privacy issue.

Methen

Post by Methen »

Noxwizard wrote:The main problem is that you are showing the user's location to the public without their consent. This is why it creates a privacy issue.
A simple warning could easily be added when some goes to register problem solved

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Methen wrote:A simple warning could easily be added when some goes to register problem solved
Not really. The user just wouldn't register.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Methen

Post by Methen »

As I said problem solved, By adding a warning it then becomes their choice rather they wish to register or not if not then no big loss, that persons privacy is respected, if the person chooses to register then it is by their choice.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I don't really like this idea. We can't require people to disclose their real location if they don't wish to. IMO, Location should remain a simple text field without requirements on accuracy or even on the content being a real location.

I sometimes put 127.0.0.1 as my Location because that is the "home" IP for computers, which means my location is at home, or at my computer. I do this when I don't feel comfortable disclosing my real location. Other times I just leave it blank.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.