[RFC] Ability to require mod approval for avatar uploads

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Methen

[RFC] Ability to require mod approval for avatar uploads

Post by Methen »

What I would like to propose is for the admin to have the ability to censor avatars by having the ability to upload the avatar him self for each user, I know this may seem like a strange request, but far to many people out there get abusive and a little on the sick side when choosing a avatar to represent them, I also know that the ability to dissabale them already exist but that would be unfair to everyone else.
Last edited by Methen on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Request ability to censor avatars

Post by DavidIQ »

I'm not sure what would be the difference between this and simply creating a group, set the group's avatar permission to never, and adding offending users to this group or changing the offender's avatar permission to never. :?:

Methen

Post by Methen »

DavidIQ wrote:I'm not sure what would be the difference between this and simply creating a group, set the group's avatar permission to never, and adding offending users to this group or changing the offender's avatar permission to never. :?:
Well for one reason when you have a large board with thousands of people who can change their avatar at any time that can be a real pain having to check all the time, My way when a user desires a avatar which he sends to the admin or moderator the avatar which is desires to use and if approved it is upload to his account in short only the admin or a moderator can upload the avatar to each users account. the link option would not be used as people would be able to simply upload another picture with the same name.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: [RFC] Ability to require mod approval for avatar uploa

Post by bantu »

I have changed the topic title to (hopefully) better describe what is meant.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Methen wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:I'm not sure what would be the difference between this and simply creating a group, set the group's avatar permission to never, and adding offending users to this group or changing the offender's avatar permission to never. :?:
Well for one reason when you have a large board with thousands of people who can change their avatar at any time that can be a real pain having to check all the time, My way when a user desires a avatar which he sends to the admin or moderator the avatar which is desires to use and if approved it is upload to his account in short only the admin or a moderator can upload the avatar to each users account. the link option would not be used as people would be able to simply upload another picture with the same name.
Well I don't see how that is any easier if you're really on a board with thousands of people who can change their avatar. I guess it's just the difference between whether or not you have to actively search.

Anyway, I feel that this isn't really a feature needed for the core, but would be better as a MOD/Extension/PLugin or whatever it's called in 4.0
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.