[RFC] Human Readable URLs

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] Human Readable URLs

Post by Pony99CA »

Oleg wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
Oleg wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: That's another benefit of my proposal -- it doesn't require mod_rewrite.
This is not a benefit as to my knowledge every web server currently in existence that is of any significance supports some form of routing arbitrary uri paths to php scripts.
My point wasn't whether Web servers support mod_rewrite or not. The Bantu post that I quoted said that there's no going back if you use mod_rewrite, but with my proposal, there is (because it doesn't require mod_rewrite).
Since mod_rewrite or equivalent facilities can be assumed to be always available to anyone who is serious about their website, this point is moot.
Let me try this again.
My point wasn't whether Web servers support mod_rewrite or not. The Bantu post that I quoted said that there's no going back if you use mod_rewrite, but with my proposal, there is (because it doesn't require mod_rewrite).
Is Bantu correct or not? Can you "go back"?

Also, will using a mod_rewrite solution break existing links that Google has (thus probably dropping your score)? (I have no idea -- I'm not an Apache guru.)

With my suggestion, you can go back and existing links won't break.
t_backoff wrote:Let's leave the preferential slams at the door, shall we? ;)
It's hardly a slam. It's the equivalent of "different strokes for different folks" or the Spanish "De gustas nada es escrito" (I hope I got that right) -- "Of tastes, nothing is written."

Regardless, the existing URLs are incomprehensible to humans. My suggestion would fix that (regardless of SEO benefit), which is what this RFC is about, and could be implemented in days (if not hours). It also wouldn't prevent a longer-term solution (using mod_rewrite) if that was still deemed necessary. (But, if we're going to worry about SERPO, let's add META tag support for Description at least -- although that's a different RFC.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

If you're going to use made up terms, please could you explain them (inline or footnote) when you use them? I've completey forgotten what SERPO is and don't have time to read back through your posts.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

callumacrae wrote:what SERPO is
Search Engine Ranking Position Optimization - a more precise description of what everybody formulates as SEO only. ;)
It's APAP (As precise as possible). :lol:

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote:If you're going to use made up terms, please could you explain them (inline or footnote) when you use them? I've completey forgotten what SERPO is and don't have time to read back through your posts.
Sorry, I thought that I'd posted it in this topic, but it was actually in the SEO - Obsolete? topic on phpBB.com. It stands for "Search Engine Results Placement Optimization", although AmigoJack's definition is roughly the same and his reasoning for the term was spot on.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Hello,

Just wondering if we got any ideas if this going yo be included in phpbb 3.1.

Thankyou L(

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

um seeing as how its almost a year old and 3.1 is now essentially feature frozen, most likely not!
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

hanakin wrote:um seeing as how its almost a year old and 3.1 is now essentially feature frozen, most likely not!
It isn't essentially frozen, it *is* frozen
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Danielx64 wrote: Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 am Hello,

Thankyou L(
Unfortunately even not in phpbb 3.2. ... will never understand why :?

3Di

Post by 3Di »

juliokr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Thankyou L(
Probably because it is the content that counts, speaking about SEO stuffs?
Such questions are almost daily asked there at phpBB.com, have a search. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

3Di wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 pm
juliokr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Thankyou L(
Probably because it is the content that counts, speaking about SEO stuffs?
Such questions are almost daily asked there at phpBB.com, have a search. :)
It's true it is the content that counts ! But no users no content !
It's even not the question if "Human Readable URLs", or "seo-urls" or "nice-urls" however you want to call them are helpful for the placement in Google results (nobody ever an prouve it already because Google algorithm changes all the time) But I never heard anybody say that "human Readable URLs", or "sea-urls" or "nice-urls" would have a negativ influence on placement in Google results !!!! They are just a "standard" feature of modern CMS and forum software.
Even sites like stackoverflow.com (you certainly know) are using "human Readable URLs"