[RFC] Human Readable URLs

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Un1matr1x

Re: [RFC] Human Readable URLs

Post by Un1matr1x »

juliokr wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 pm
DavidIQ wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:20 pmAn extension could be created but lack of interest has prevented one from being properly created. See my previous ccommen for more details.
Sorry this is not really true there is no "lack of interest" one the board owner side [...]
juliokr wrote: Tue May 03, 2016 5:32 pm[...]I'm not a coder but I think it would be much easier to provide this feature directly with the core than to make an extension for this !
Why don't they just ask the phpBB board owners if they would like to have this feature ?
So you guess that many boardowners want this feature and that all of this board owners aren't coders - fine.
But you also have to accept that the voluntary coder will spend their time for other stuff - it's their spare time - fine.

What could be a solution?
  1. Try to find new volunteer, that will implement this feature in the core or as extension (f.e. @ google code of summer)
  2. You pay what you want - find someone that will do this special feature right for you
  3. If really many user lack this feature start a crowdfunding to pay a coder for this "needed" feature
  4. ...
Stop riding this dead horse - I mean thread - everything has been said, every argument have been exchanged - you should try to accept this and search for a solution and not try to talk someone into building a feature you want, that isn't maintained furthermore soonish

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Un1matr1x wrote: Wed May 04, 2016 6:35 pm Stop riding this dead horse - I mean thread - everything has been said, every argument have been exchanged - you should try to accept this and search for a solution and not try to talk someone into building a feature you want, that isn't maintained furthermore soonish
The only real solution would be to switch to another software and to say good by to phpBB !
Sorry I appreciate a lot the work of phpBB developers but sometimes I get the feeling that many phpBB users who answers on this forum are grand fathers who lives in nostalgia of the "good old time"

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

juliokr wrote: Wed May 04, 2016 6:52 pm The only real solution would be to switch to another software and to say good by to phpBB !
Please don't let the door hit you on the way out.
juliokr wrote: Wed May 04, 2016 6:52 pmSorry I appreciate a lot the work of phpBB developers but sometimes I get the feeling that many phpBB users who answers on this forum are grand fathers who lives in nostalgia of the "good old time"
We're all for listening to users and implementing what there is time for and what makes sense but we don't appreciate users such as yourself with absolutely nothing to add to a features discussion continuing to go in circles in a topic without actually adding anything useful. This wastes time, causes confusion and simply generates frustration. I think that your type of approach to this whole topic (not the first person to do this here mind you) is part of the reason this feature does not yet exist as this turns off developers of both phpBB and extensions. Because of that, the fact that you're apparently no longer going to use phpBB because "human readable URLs" are not present, that this is in the archived RFC forums, and that all avenues of discussion have been completely exhausted in this topic I am now locking this.

NOTE: Those that come here looking for SEO features can simply drop in the phpBBSEO extension into their forum and instantly have SEO-friendly URLs without having to argue about adding it to the core. According to other posts in this topic it works great. Whether this feature will be included in 3.3 or beyond will be at the discretion of the Development Team as time permits since it is not at the top of the "todo" list.