[RFC] Create a new user account through the ACP

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

[RFC] Create a new user account through the ACP

Post by Vinny »

The title is pretty obvious, it is possible through the ACP to create a new user account. Based on the tool used in STK "Add user".

The idea came up this topic and can be a very useful feature in the future.

Here a short explanation of this feature by Unknown Bliss:
Unknown Bliss wrote:This was discussed for phpBB 3.1.x here but it was never turned into an RFC.

What is it?
A module in the ACP which allows admins to register/add users.

Use Cases
  • When a board is offline and you need a co-admin to register without having to switch the board on
  • For private and exclusive forums
  • An admin is contact by a user who cannot complete the captcha because they have poor eyesight, they can create the account.
Implementation Frontend
  • A module in the ACP under Users and Groups --> Users
  • It would include a Username field, Email field, Password field, Lanuages, Timezone and Birthday, whether to set change password on login (See RFC here) and a question whether or not to send the new user an email
  • The email would contain the login details (Username, Board URL (and password?)).
Implementation Backend
Essentially an edited version of the MOD by Highway of Life and we had his support in the discussion topic but it has now been taken over by phpbbmodders.net - MOD Link
Last edited by Vinny on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add Unknown Bliss's quote

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [RFC] Create a new user account through the ACP

Post by hanakin »

I agree this is very useful, as a development tool but not sure what the advantage would be for the average user please elaborate with scenarios might help your case ;)
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Boards where only say "company" employees and clients are allowed to posts. They'd want to disable registration and allow the admin to create accounts for newly "authorized(ie through normal RL memos)" users.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Ger

Post by Ger »

bonelifer wrote:Boards where only say "company" employees and clients are allowed to posts. They'd want to disable registration and allow the admin to create accounts for newly "authorized(ie through normal RL memos)" users.
+1.

I encounter many professional boards where only accepted clients are welcome for support through the forums. There are also many boards that are only for a restricted group of friends, employees, etc. All those boards want to disable registration but need the occasional addition of new users.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

There is a MOD for this in 3.0.x already:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=580108
It is basically a drop-in MOD and could be a good reference.

Edit: and of course it was mentioned in the referenced topic that Nelsaidi posted... :oops:

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

[RFC] Add/Register User in ACP

Post by MichaelC »

This was discussed for phpBB 3.1.x here but it was never turned into an RFC.

What is it?
A module in the ACP which allows admins to register/add users.

Use Cases
  • When a board is offline and you need a co-admin to register without having to switch the board on
  • For private and exclusive forums
  • An admin is contact by a user who cannot complete the captcha because they have poor eyesight, they can create the account.
Implementation Frontend
  • A module in the ACP under Users and Groups --> Users
  • It would include a Username field, Email field, Password field, Lanuages, Timezone and Birthday, whether to set change password on login (See RFC here) and a question whether or not to send the new user an email
  • The email would contain the login details (Username, Board URL (and password?)).
Implementation Backend
Essentially an edited version of the MOD by Highway of Life and we had his support in the discussion topic but it has now been taken over by phpbbmodders.net - MOD Link
Last edited by MichaelC on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Add/Register User in ACP

Post by callumacrae »

+1, I say use the mod
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Ah, sorry, I did do a search and had a look through the forum but didn't see that. Sorry.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.