[RFC] Create a new user account through the ACP

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Danielx64

Re: [RFC] Create a new user account through the ACP

Post by Danielx64 »

+1 for adding this

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I agree.

It does not make sense to have "User Management" without the ability to create users. The Groups and Forums management sections of the ACP allow for the creation of groups and forums, so I would expect the User management area to also include this functionality.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Merged the topics and +1.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Some questions before I really get started:
- Should this be a new module or an addition to the current Manage Users module (i.e. beneath the current "find a user" box). IMO "adding" is a type of managing so it could all go in that module. Or I could do what the MOD does by adding a new "Add User" module, but like I said I think it should go in the Manage User module.
EDIT: Of course the only additions on the manage users page would be a single text box and a submit button. The rest of the form would go on a separate page.

- Should this piggyback off of the current permission for managing users or should this be a separate (new) permission? IMO if the answer to the previous question is to add it to the manage user module, it should piggyback the permission; otherwise a new permission would be fine.

- Should a new password be randomly generated and sent in the email that the new user receives, or should the administrator be able to specify a password? Or should there be an option on the screen to do one or the other?

- What information should the administrator be able to input on the add user form? Just basic registration settings (i.e. username, email, password, timezone) or all that plus profile information, default group, etc.?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

In my view I would say

1) New module
2) New permission
3) Password set.
4) The items on the registration form (including custom profile fields set to show on the registration form and are required)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Unknown Bliss wrote:In my view I would say

1) New module
2) New permission
3) Password set.
4) The items on the registration form (including custom profile fields set to show on the registration form and are required)
+1
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Unknown Bliss wrote:3) Password set.
What does that mean? The password is automatically set? or the Admin can set the password? Personally I don't see an issue with, if the admin decides to leave the field blank, automatically generating a password. *shrug*

As for #1 I feel that it should all be part of the user management module.There aren't two modules for forum management and forum creation. There aren't two modules for group management and group creation. But ultimately it isn't a big deal.

As for #2, in what case would an administrator need to be able to create users, but not be able to edit (or viceversa)?

@UKB So basically you want me to port the current 3.0 MOD into 3.1? Because that's what you're describing. :P EDIT: IMO, the MOD implements the feature in the way MODs should (aka keeping it separate from other features), but if we are putting the feature into core, we should blend it in, instead of just adding it in separately. Of course, for this feature, that isn't too huge of an issue, but I feel that it applies.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Password could be left blank I think. Upon account creation if the password is not provided the email address that was assigned would receive a hash for activation at which point a password assignment is required.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:Password could be left blank I think. Upon account creation if the password is not provided the email address that was assigned would receive a hash for activation at which point a password assignment is required.
+1

So the admin can set the password or one can be generated.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:Password could be left blank I think. Upon account creation if the password is not provided the email address that was assigned would receive a hash for activation at which point a password assignment is required.
+1

So the admin can set the password or one can be generated.
DavidIQ did not say that a password would be generated, he said a hash would be generated that would slow them to set their password (like resetting it does). It's a far better approach.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog