[RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

[RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by MichaelC »

Well, considering it was removed from the install package of 3.1, I propose that it is completely stopped being developed/supported by phpBB.com

Related RFC Topic for 3.1

As said by ToonArmy, it is only supported by some mod authors meaning subsilver users have a smaller range of modifications as it is.

It does take extra time from the development team to maintain two styles rather then one, time that could be better allocated to other things.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by DavidIQ »

Why would we continue supporting subSilver after 3.1 is released anyways? That would be up to the style author that decides they're going to continue developing past the 3.0.x line.

EDIT: nevermind...I was just reminded that we did indeed decide to support it beyond 3.1. Carry on...nothing to see here.
Image
User avatar
jsebean
Registered User
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by jsebean »

im happy with the decision to keep subsilver supported in 3.1, since i use subsilver myself. However, for 3.2 I would not be mad if you would stop supporting subsilver, in fact i think its a good idea, subsilver is based on tables for the layout which is out of standards anyway. Maybe someone just make a subsilver3, based on prosilver, but keep the same old looks in general since i like the looks of subsilver2.
-Jonah
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by MichaelC »

I'm saying it wouldn't be updated by the phpBB.com Team. Some individual may pick it up and still release it as a style.

As for a subsilver looking style but with a prosilver coding style take a look here
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
rahber
Former Team Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:08 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by rahber »

a large part of community still uses subsilver2 based styles. So stopping the support eventually mean cutting off their hopes.
as subsilver2 is basic guide lines to follow the edits for subsilver2 based styles.
lost in area 51 :o
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by MichaelC »

Alot of MOD Authors don't support it and after 3.1.x even less will. Also my understanding was one of the points of just removing it from the default package was to gradually phase it out from being official, but I may be wrong there.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by DavidIQ »

rahber wrote:a large part of community still uses subsilver2 based styles. So stopping the support eventually mean cutting off their hopes.
as subsilver2 is basic guide lines to follow the edits for subsilver2 based styles.
Any pre-3.2 styles would likely not work at all with 3.2 without a major overhaul anyways so getting rid of subsilver2 for 3.2 makes sense. Everybody would be starting from scratch almost regardless of which style it's based off of.
Image
User avatar
rahber
Former Team Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:08 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by rahber »

then i guess for such users there will be no choice else to get rid of there current style and hope some one build a similar style to work with the new versions :lol:
lost in area 51 :o
Rotsblok
Registered User
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: x= y+1

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by Rotsblok »

rahber wrote:then i guess for such users there will be no choice else to get rid of there current style and hope some one build a similar style to work with the new versions :lol:
as it was with the phpBB3 release etc..

Why would 3.2 be any different.. as 2.x => 3.0 was a complete overhaul and not to mention phpBB1 => phpBB2
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it
User avatar
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by hanakin »

jsbean wrote:im happy with the decision to keep subsilver supported in 3.1, since i use subsilver myself. However, for 3.2 I would not be mad if you would stop supporting subsilver, in fact i think its a good idea, subsilver is based on tables for the layout which is out of standards anyway. Maybe someone just make a subsilver3, based on prosilver, but keep the same old looks in general since i like the looks of subsilver2.

That's the idea first we need to clean up pro then it would be easy enough to make a theme based off of it to resemble sub
Donations welcome via Paypal Image
Post Reply