[RFC]Remove Install file

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
3Di
Registered User
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: Milano (I) Frankfurt (D)
Contact:

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by 3Di »

Unknown Bliss wrote:When 3.1 is released your /install/ directory won't exist as AutoMOD will have UMIL built into its wizard install meaning there will be no /install/ to run.
could you please lead me to a proof of your statement? if I want not to use UMIL, I do that.. firstly. so?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by MichaelC »

Ok this is now a sea of contradictions. All of the above are incorrect except the first post which is:
Unknown Bliss wrote:I like that idea except some mods and phpbb sub-projects put the install at /install/ as it also disables the board.
Which is still incorrect as it says sub-projects, which is incorrect meaning this post contradicts itself. :oops:
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
Danielx64
Registered User
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:42 am

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by Danielx64 »

What about the fact that some mods has install files to make all their DB changes and such? The gallery mod for phpbb is one perfect example
User avatar
jsebean
Registered User
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by jsebean »

mods that require db changes will still work, UMIL will be built in to automod, so things like the phpBB gallery mod would work, of course they'd probably have to make a new version for it to work with phpbb 3.1

Anyway, I also agree to delete the install folder when its installed, or build install into the index.php that only works if the config.php doesnt exist or is empty.
-Jonah
User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by MichaelC »

jsbean wrote:mods that require db changes will still work, UMIL will be built in to automod, so things like the phpBB gallery mod would work, of course they'd probably have to make a new version for it to work with phpbb 3.1

Anyway, I also agree to delete the install folder when its installed, or build install into the index.php that only works if the config.php doesnt exist or is empty.
No, UMIL is not included in AutoMOD however the UMIL folder is included in the phpBB Package unless this changes in 3.2.x
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1868
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by DavidIQ »

The need for UMIL will, hopefully, go away by 3.2 when all of wha UMIL does will be possible through core instead. :)
Image
User avatar
jsebean
Registered User
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by jsebean »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
jsbean wrote:mods that require db changes will still work, UMIL will be built in to automod, so things like the phpBB gallery mod would work, of course they'd probably have to make a new version for it to work with phpbb 3.1

Anyway, I also agree to delete the install folder when its installed, or build install into the index.php that only works if the config.php doesnt exist or is empty.
No, UMIL is not included in AutoMOD however the UMIL folder is included in the phpBB Package unless this changes in 3.2.x
Not really what I meant, what I meant was UMIL and Automod will be included 3.1, correct me if I'm wrong but thats what i've picked up to learn from the rfcs?
-Jonah
Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by Oleg »

Let's keep this topic on the topic of removing install directory after (successful?) installation.

I think it's a good idea for those environments where it is possible. Of course, in secure environments where code is not allowed to modify itself no such silliness should be attempted.

The "install lock" idea I'm not a big fan of. First of all there is the practical problem of someone emptying their cache and breaking their board. Second, the installer should physically not exist after installation and the "install lock" does not achieve this.
Post Reply