[RFC]Remove Install file

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

[RFC]Remove Install file

Post by MichaelC » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 pm

When you have finished the phpBB first installation next to login a button saying 'Delete install file' which would then remove /install/.

The installer should then check if it can delete the folder. If that's not possible, it can ask the user for FTP/SFTP credentials or to do it manually.

This saves time for less experienced users who would take a while going into FTP and removing the /install/ file.

Based on the discussion topic for 3.1 here
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

ToonArmy

Re: [RFC]Remove Install file

Post by ToonArmy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Could probably expanded to chmoding the cache/ etc. directories as well.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Appears to be a great idea. Especially considering that phpBB is moving towards making installations easier and more user-friendly.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:30 am

or we could just leave the files there and put a install.lock file in the install folder and that will lock the installer.

igorw

Post by igorw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:23 pm

*Daniel wrote:or we could just leave the files there and put a install.lock file in the install folder and that will lock the installer.
I like that, might make more sense to put it in cache though, since that is already writeable.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:13 pm

I like that idea except some mods and phpbb sub-projects put the install at /install/ as it also disables the board.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:21 am

Unknown Bliss wrote:I like that idea except some mods and phpbb sub-projects put the install at /install/ as it also disables the board.

Well just have phpbb delete it install files when it finish installing, and the same for mods as well. But I don't know how you would go about doing that for mods

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Sorry. Ignore my last post. Its forgetting that mods won't have intall files and neither will automod. :oops:

3Di

Post by 3Di » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 am

Unknown Bliss wrote:Sorry. Ignore my last post. Its forgetting that mods won't have intall files and neither will automod. :oops:
why? some of my MODs have them.. are you surfing onto a sea of contradictions or what?
Want to compensate me for my interest? Don't ask me, just do it
I'm available for custom phpBB jobs, you can PM me the details.
New: my Live Board, Extensions and Tools for phpBB - Men at works.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:51 pm

When 3.1 is released your /install/ directory won't exist as AutoMOD will have UMIL built into its wizard install meaning there will be no /install/ to run.