[RFC] Topic Title Prefixes / Subject Prefixes

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
ABDev

Re: [RFC] Topic Title Prefixes / Subject Prefixes

Post by ABDev »

t_backoff wrote:If anyone wants to see an example of a near-perfect implementation (of course, on 3.0.x), this MOD implements the features described in this topic.
Hi all,
Thanks for your post, PastisD and me have worked hard in order to make that MOD. And we continue in this way :).
We would like to know if the convertor for Arsia will support the data of QTE, or if we will have to make it.
If I ask you that, it's because, for some MODs under phpBB2, they had been supported in the converter for phpBB3 :).

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Far as I remember, the only MOD that was supported for conversion in the core package was Attachments MOD. Sub-forums were supported under a separate convertor which was not in the core package.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I don't see why we wouldn't. But it would certainly help the odds, if you would supply a patch to the updater for that once we have the feature in 3.2 ;-)

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

Quick question: Wouldnt a tags mod be more usefull than just prefixes? It's almost the same concept. Using tags instead would make the forum way more easier to browse. The prefixes we're talking about here are indeed usefull to phpBB.com but tags could make a huge impact for t he better in other communities.

Plus the prefix could still be a tag, a "super tag" if you will, like #RFC for example.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

ABDev

Post by ABDev »

I think you confound the "Tag Cloud" system and the "Topic Prefix" system.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

You can have tags without a tag cloud, the cloud is just a visual representation of it.

ABDev

Post by ABDev »

Yes, but I don't understand how you can imagine and manage that kind of system in the topics titles ...

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

Well yeah, my point is not to shove multiple tags in a topic title. I was thinking in having tags, maybe below the title to represent what are the topics related to it.

ABDev

Post by ABDev »

Don't worry, but I think you are speaking of another thing, which has no reports with that feature :).

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I agree that topic title prefixes and tags are really the same thing. Tags simply allow more than one prefix per topic. This is probably going to come up as a feature request sooner or later anyway, so we might as well just implement a tag system directly.

The main difference between common tagging system and prefixes is then, whether tags are administrator defined or created by users. Either system could be accomplished with the same database layout. So I'd opt for an admin only implementation in core with a possible extension for user defined tags that simply extends this feature.