[RFC|Accepted] Cleaning up the ACP UI

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
leviatan21

Re: Cleaning up the ACP UI

Post by leviatan21 »

Clearing the GENERAL is a good idea.
IMHO quick access should do a simply redirect to the proper tab/menu and do not duplicate content
QA Team Member - I don't support by PM,
Customize forums, install Skins/Mods ! Sendme a PM | Don't forget to visit my other mods
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I.1.B - Moderator Log - I can see this being used for quick access. The administrator log is linked in the main pane of the ACP index (although this does not work for going to the Admin Log from, say, the Security Settings page)

I.2.C and III.1 - Private Message Settings - I'm not sure that Client Communication is a good place for this, I'd see this under the "Posting" tab for similarity's sake.

I would counter-propose that the "Posting Tab" be renamed to "Messages", and would then encompass settings which affect public messages (i.e. posts) and private messages. This means Custom BBCodes, Word Censors, Attachments, &c.

Other than that, I believe I've implemented the list. Changes go to github once I get feedback what I've written in this post.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Typo

Post by Typo »

Sounds great so far AJD!

One thing, instead of 'Messages', how about 'Posting & Messaging'? I know it's a bit long but I believe would clear up the possibility of any confusion.
I've gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please keep me here.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Here's the changes I ended up with. Sort of a compromise. I left the "messages" header as it was, but added some new pages to it.

http://github.com/jellydoughnut/phpbb3/ ... icket/9705

You'd need to do a complete fresh install to see the module changes. Updating this would be a significant challgne, since users can customize their modules, install MODs, and so forth.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

The ACP does need to be cleaned-up a bit and there is a lot of unnecessary duplication as pointed out in this post and another. However, I don't agree with dumping the General tab altogether. I like being able to go to the ACP and have quick access to what I'm looking for.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

keith10456 wrote:The ACP does need to be cleaned-up a bit and there is a lot of unnecessary duplication as pointed out in this post and another. However, I don't agree with dumping the General tab altogether. I like being able to go to the ACP and have quick access to what I'm looking for.
Just an idea but perhaps making the general/quick access more easily customisable? afaik you do so through modules, but if made easier, more users would use them and you would have a true "quick access" tab since its what the admin commonly uses.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Nelsaidi wrote:
keith10456 wrote:The ACP does need to be cleaned-up a bit and there is a lot of unnecessary duplication as pointed out in this post and another. However, I don't agree with dumping the General tab altogether. I like being able to go to the ACP and have quick access to what I'm looking for.
Just an idea but perhaps making the general/quick access more easily customisable? afaik you do so through modules, but if made easier, more users would use them and you would have a true "quick access" tab since its what the admin commonly uses.
It currently can be customized via the Module Manageament module. However, I agree that the process could be simplified.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Something like iGoogle on the main page of phpBB would be good :D

Except I hate iGoogle.

You know what I mean, draggable modules and stuff.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

A_Jelly_Doughnut

I suppose the ideal quick access modules would be the ones "most frequently used in the last 30 days" or some similar time frame. That would mean logging the number of times the module was accessed, which I don't see any other reason to implement.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I suppose the ideal quick access modules would be the ones "most frequently used in the last 30 days" or some similar time frame. That would mean logging the number of times the module was accessed, which I don't see any other reason to implement.
This could potentially create create a unique ACP for every admin, and seeing as on many forums with multiple admins, each has a delegated post and not all deal with every aspect of the forum amdinistration, which is good.

Perhaps something like an Admin Note - leave a note for another admin on the home page, not essential and replaces an "admin" forum, but could be useful - This would be on the quick access page for help.