[RFC] Save, preview, post, etc. failsafe

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
FeyFre

Re: [RFC] Save, preview, post, etc. failsafe

Post by FeyFre » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 pm

vHiker wrote:My point is there is a much safer option to submit form data (AJAX).
It will no be safer at all. It will create additional traffic and server load only. It is the same as to create backups in the same storage where original located(if one fail, other will fail too).
Please, think again: you afraid you loss data because of unstable channel and/or overloaded server. As solution you propose save your sensitive data you never want to loss on the SAME overload server transmitting it using the SAME unstable channel. Do you really think it will work?

alecrust

Post by alecrust » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Is there any development or solution to this problem?

This happens quite often with user's loosing their whole post if on a mobile device etc.

Could the <textarea> contents not be stored client side when the form is submitted?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:53 pm

This is the responsibility of the browser, not the board. Submitting posts via quick reply and saving drafts will use AJAX, though.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

alecrust

Post by alecrust » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Ah OK, so in a future release of phpBB Ajax is being added for Quick Replies and Drafts? Will this be a patch version of phpBB 3, or is it in development for phpBB 4?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:28 pm

alecrust wrote:Ah OK, so in a future release of phpBB Ajax is being added for Quick Replies and Drafts? Will this be a patch version of phpBB 3, or is it in development for phpBB 4?
Possibly. I've added it for quick replies and nobody has objected to that, and I will add it to drafts later. It will be merged (assuming I'm finished) into 3.1.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog