[RFC] Splitting global announcements from f_announce

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

[RFC] Splitting global announcements from f_announce

Post by bantu »

What?
I suggest to split the f_announce permission into f_announce (Permission to create an announcement in a specific forum) and a global permission f_announce_global (Permission to create a global announcement) or similar.

Why?
The ability to create global announcements is a powerful permission and something that administrators of big and middle size boards usually do not want to give to moderators who only moderate a subset of all forums. They however often want their moderators to be able to use both other topic types, sticky and announcement. This is not possible with phpBB 3.0.x.

Slightly related discussion topic: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=32544

naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC] Splitting global announcements from f_announce

Post by naderman »

Sounds like a good idea, should this be merged with the general revamp of global topics?

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

naderman wrote:Sounds like a good idea, should this be merged with the general revamp of global topics?
I was just making sure I do not forgot about this. I would have posted to the RFC for revamping global topics, but there is only a discussion topic right now. Nothing against merging it.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think merging this and the other global topics RFC would work well.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

I think this should be combined with the other RFC on a general improvements to global announcements. The problem I've had with them before is where clubs have their own forums and see this announcement in their section and so go and delete it, it'd be better if global announcements just took permissions from one forum.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Moved to 3.2 since global announcements had been merged without this.