[RFC|Accepted] Symfony 2

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
rma-web

Re: [RFC] Symfony 2

Post by rma-web »

Another benefit from using a framework like ZF or Symfony would be SEO friendly urls. The frameworks provide the ability to have "clean" urls by default.

So rather than viewforum.php?f=78 ([4.0/Rhea] RFCs & Patches forum) it could be 4.0Rhea_RFCs_&_Patches_forum-f78 or something like that (stripping non alphanumeric characters and replacing whitespace with an underscore for the name, and appending a -F[forum_id] for the Forum controller to use as the param).

ameeck

Post by ameeck »

@rma-web: SEO URLs are just a side-effect of the key feature for frameworks - routes. With routes, you can manage any URL scheme just by defining new routes, internally the system only references controller -> view links.

I haven't yet seen the routing implementation in Sf2, but I think it will be as flexible as other PHP frameworks.
Please think before you post.

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

i am for using symfony 2 for framework, great idea.

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I like frameworks as such however I have to admit that I don't like symfony. I have had very bad experiences with the complexity of the code and folder structure. It just appears to me very bloated and I really love the structure of phpbb3. For me phpbb3 is great to write additions or external software which hooks up with it and I never understood symfony.
May /dev/null be with you!

ameeck

Post by ameeck »

Obi_Wan wrote:I like frameworks as such however I have to admit that I don't like symfony. I have had very bad experiences with the complexity of the code and folder structure. It just appears to me very bloated and I really love the structure of phpbb3. For me phpbb3 is great to write additions or external software which hooks up with it and I never understood symfony.
Are you talking about symfony 1 or Symfony 2?
Please think before you post.

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I think it was symfony 2 I tried :)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Obi_Wan wrote:I think it was symfony 2 I tried :)
Compare it to Code Igniter and tell me what you think. :)

Stefan Koopmanschap

Post by Stefan Koopmanschap »

Judging from your original message, I am guessing you tried symfony 1. Symfony 2 has only recently been released as a preview release. :)

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Well Symfony 2 is preview release that's only been available a number of weeks.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

Ah ok. I have no idea in which state symfony currently is because I just hated it but if symfony 2 is easier to handle and doesn't need thousands of bootstraps, files and library declarations until something is actually there... then why not.