[RFC|Accepted] Symfony 2

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
igorw

Re: [RFC] Symfony 2

Post by igorw »

If your app and phpBB are able to use the same version of Symfony then setting the location is a matter of changing a few paths (probably in 2 locations if not only 1). Should be no problem at all.

stanislav

Post by stanislav »

Hello there.
First of all, I wanted to thank to all phpBB contributors for the great job.
The reason I appeared here is that I'm very interested how things are going with developing phpBB4 on the Symfony 2.
When I heard about it first time, I was really surprised and nearly jumped on my chair. Great news!
I had some experience with building services, both large and small ones on Symfony (versions 1.1 to 1.4.8) and I can say I like it. The speed of development, modularity, automatization, generation of code/forms/database.
Also I did an very low-level integration of phpBB3 and Symfony 1.4.8, however, it still used two database connections.

Don't want to repeat all the argument used before, I just want to say it's a good time and chance for phpBB Team to use a framework building a new version of phpBB.

dwieeb

Post by dwieeb »

Symfony is a well thought out framework, and Symfony 2 looks like it's going to be better 10 fold. Please use it.

skinofstars

Post by skinofstars »

Rotsblok wrote:If I have some website application already using Symphony and I am to install phpBB (with symphony).. [snip] ..
To be clear, we're talking about Symfony2 (http://symfony-reloaded.org/) ... NOT Symphony CMS (http://symphony-cms.com/)

Otherwise. Excited by the prospect of using the sf2 framework :)

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Re: [RFC|Accepted] Symfony 2

Post by bonelifer »

Yes, Symfony the framework.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

stuk88

Post by stuk88 »

i think the most important thing in the new system is so it will be easier to write mods add styles for it
and if it will be quick and easy to understand and connect to other web applications.

stanislav

Post by stanislav »

Symfony2 is almost ready - http://symfony.com/download.

AaronDM

Post by AaronDM »

Now that Symfony2 is in beta, when will we see phpBB start being developed, approximately at least? Kinda excited :D

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Will it use symfony 2.0 or 2.1 or the latest major symfony version when phpBB 4.0 goes to alpha or latest major symfony version when phpBB 4.0 active development starts?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

igorw

Post by igorw »

My suggestion would be to use the latest stable version when we start. For the simple reason that we can then potentially release sooner.